Saturday, June 22, 2013

Yin, Yang and Ho'oponopono

A couple months ago, about the time I was listening to a to a YouTube recording of the Tao Te Ching, I took a shower, which typically would be uneventful, but I was able to conceptualize the concept of Yin and Yang in this particular instance of showering. I was very excited, especially since the Yin and Yang phenomenon is cliché, unassuming, and thoroughly difficult to truly understand.

In the Tao Te Ching, Lao Tzu writes:

The Way gave birth to unity,
Unity gave birth to duality,
Duality Gave birth to trinity,
Trinity Gave birth to the myriad creatures

The myriad creatures bear yin on their backs
             and embrace yang in their hearts
They neutralize these vapors
             and thereby achieve harmony

There is no better way to explain the concept of yin and yang that I have come across.

Recently in my continuing study of The Success Principles, I realized my vapors were creating a thick fog, especially when it came to acknowledging my past successes. Great relationships with lots of good times ended badly, and I forgot the good times ever happened. A successful 5-year run at a company ended with me stretching a little further for a promotion than I was capable of at the time, and I forgot that I learned public speaking and all sorts of things about finance and retirement plans. I didn't notice that I went back to school after I left the job, got my MBA and learned everything that I needed to know, becoming the person I was trying to be when I took the promotion originally.

Jack Canfield wrote, "the more you acknowledge your successes, the more confident you become." I needed to find a way to neutralize the fog that obscured my vision, which I did in a simple mantra called Ho'oponopono.

I love you.
I'm sorry.
Please forgive me.
Thank you.

The Hawaiian chant of Ho'oponopono is utterly disarming. It's my way of balancing and neutralizing the vapors that obstruct my vision (in the metaphysical sense), and I use the chant to return to positive thinking when I have strayed from that course of thought.



No comments:

Post a Comment