Sunday, June 2, 2013

Hanging on the Vine

Staying connected to our life force--the divine, Jesus, Buddha, or what ever you'd like to call it--is a balancing act. The goal, as illustrated in the Christian Tradition (John 15), is simply to abide or be present with the divine. We do not try to act or mimic the divine, for that is a standard we cannot achieve. Instead, we let the divine work through us.

If I were to grow a tomato plant (I'm not too familiar with grapes, which are used in the classic story), I would stake the plant up, so it would produce the most fruit. I do not have any control of whether or not the plant actually bears fruit. Perhaps, I could order a box of honey bees to increase the chances of pollination, but ultimately, all I can do is make sure the plant gets sunlight and water. And, at some point in the summer, I'm probably going to get a tomato or two.

This phenomenon is perhaps likewise in our own personal growth. I do not have control of when the work that I'm doing will produce results. While I can do many things that make results more likely, I do not know exactly when a business opportunity will take off. All I can do is stake myself up (be it with education or otherwise) and be patient. All that is really important is that I (like the vine) stay attached to my life force (or roots).

No comments:

Post a Comment