Wednesday, August 14, 2013

The Art of Reading


There is a tried and true method of learning that our teachers try to impress upon our young minds: Write at least one journal page a day and read. These things are not mutually exclusive. Learning is different for everyone, and each person will experiment to find her path. Personally, I have found that diving into non-fiction books is the most productive means of learning.

Simply put, the books I have learned the most from are the ones that I have spent the most time with. I have written in the margins. I have summarized chapters. I've written the authors. My journal entries reflect the ideas I have just read, sometimes with direct quotes. While previously, I thought my intellectual prowess was measured by how fast or how many books I could consume; I now realize that a more thoughtful measured approach to study is optimal.

Until recently, I also believed in the power of stream of consciousness writing. Each morning I would journal as much as possible without interruption. Now, I feel free to access data outside of myself. My need to write stream of consciousness, "to tap my inner soul," is no more. I can spend 5 minutes meditating for that. Understanding comes from processing information in a more comprehensible fashion.

No comments:

Post a Comment