Thursday, August 29, 2013

My journey towards meditation

Meditation ImageLast weekend, I attended a Buddhist style introduction to meditation at the Odiyana Center. Meditation has been slowly encroaching on my life, and I figured that I'd finally take a class. In college, my roommate and I attended some stage hypnosis shows of James Mapes, at UConn's Jorgensen Auditorium, which introduced me to the concept of hypnosis. I also took some Creative Writing classes at UConn, which included an extensive study of the Beats, some of whom were very interested in Buddhism. And, a few years later, I was introduced to a movie called The Secret, which introduced me to the notion of listening to motivational tapes and putting myself in the right mindset. More recently, I actually started listening to hypnosis tapes and doing occasional meditation.

But, where does all this lead? Achieving personal balance is more than just completing a task. It is internalizing and understanding the world around me. But to do this, I slightly sever my connection to the world. Perhaps the answer is simply in the silence that surrounds me.

No comments:

Post a Comment