Sunday, February 3, 2013

12. Receipe



This is my super secret (a.k.a., I don't pay attention to my cooking.) recipe for butternut squash soup that everyone asks for, and I'm just like "throw a bunch of stuff into that Kroger butternut squash soup with apples." However, I can't find that recipe anymore on the Kroger website, but it is on the U.S. Apple Association website (Smokey Apple & Butternut Squash Soup). So, I admit, making my soup is a little more complicated than just making some quick changes to a recipe, but that description is exactly how the process works in my mind. I love altering butternut squash soup recipes. I usually add celery, carrots, apples, chili pepper, and cumin.  I don't think I've ever used nutmeg, as this Food Network Recipe suggests. Italics are my additions. Strikes are my subtractions. Disclaimer: This is not an exact recipe; I cook to taste, but this is as close to my recipe as I can replicate.


Butternut Squash Soup Ingredients

  • 1 (2 to 3 pound) butternut squash, peeled, seeded and sliced (diced not necessary)
  • 2 tbsp unsalted butter (or Pam or whatever really, just wing it) (can sub one tbsp olive oil for one of butter)
  • 1 medium onion to 3 large onions, chopped
  • 0 to 5 cloves garlic (how adventurous are you feeling?)
  • 0 to 3 Bay Leaves (likewise)
  • 2 stalks celery, very lightly peeled to remove loose strings and then chopped (more is better)
  • 2 carrots, peeled and chopped (at least 1, more is ok)
  • 1 apple to 1 lb of apples (usually 2 apples), peeled, cored and sliced (I've subbed apple sauce, not as good)
  • 6 cups chicken stock
  • 1 c. to the whole (32 oz) container of Swanson (gotta be) chicken broth (low sodium is good)
  • (add 1 c. apple juice if only using 1 c. chicken broth and add juice or broth as needed for proper viscosity)
  • Nutmeg (might try adding this next time)
  • 1 tsp chili powder (was using a tbsp, a bit spicy, note says to use chipotle chili powder, not sure what that is)
  • A few dashes of cumin (have used as many as 10)
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste, about--at least-- 1/2 tsp)
  • (Garnish Options: toasted pecans, sour cream, and/or additional apple slices)

Directions

Cut squash into 1-inch chunks. In large pot melt butter (and heat oil, if using). OPTION: Add onion, garlic and celery and cook until translucent, about 8 to 10 minutes, if desired. Add squash, carrots, apples, and stock broth (and juice if using). (Throw it all in the pot, option to add Bay Leaves here.) Bring to a simmer (low heat) and cook until squash, apples and carrots are tender, about 15 to 20 minutes an hour. Add first round of spices (all the spices but on the light side if unsure, ok if these were put in earlier). Remove squash chunks with slotted spoon and place Cool, remove bay leaves (if used) and pour the whole concoction in a blender and puree (will take more than one full blender capacity). Store for later or return blended squash to pot and heat, cook down to proper viscosity (add juice or broth if too thick). Stir and season with nutmeg, salt, and pepper to taste. Serve.

Option to garnish with toasted pecans, sour cream swirls and/or thin apple slices.

(I don't know any of this other stuff.)
Serves 6  (Probably serves at least 8)
Calories: 125
Total Fat: 5 grams
Saturated Fat: 2.5 grams
Protein: 3 grams
Total carbohydrates: 19 grams
Sugar: 4 grams
Fiber: 3.5 grams
Cholesterol: 10 milligrams
Sodium: 1044 milligrams

No comments:

Post a Comment