Thursday, December 22, 2016

Letting the Creativity Flow

Julia Cameron in The Artist's Way recommends getting up first thing in the morning and writing three journal pages. Recently, I saw a video from Tim Ferriss that espoused a similar idea at about 7:20 in the video he says, "three to five hour uninterrupted blocks of time are important if . . . you want to have the space to create . . . original combinations of ideas." Basically, you want to limit your inputs so your mind can create its own outputs. You want to take advantage of the time that your brain is clean from sleep and still bringing itself back together, when your neurons are still slightly separated and can more easily make random connections.

This can be really difficult. I know, I want to rollover and respond to all possible text messages, watch YouTube videos, and catch up on my Astrology for the day, as soon as I get up in the morning. I want to clear out my email as soon as I get into work. This contaminates the mind though. It unplugs us from the collective unconscious and plugs us into the machine.

Ideology kills great ideas. It makes scientists mediocre, turns pundits into hacks, and spiritual leaders become brain dead. Ideology is easy to recognize in others, but hard to recognize in ourselves. The easiest way to deal with it is to avoid it. Get up early, see how things connect. If they do, great. If not, then there's tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment