Sunday, October 27, 2013

CSCMP 2013 Conference


Just had the privilege of attending the 50th Anniversary Conference of the Council for Supply Chain Management Professionals. I really enjoyed my time there. Perhaps, it's my Liberal Arts bias, but I thought the final speaker, Mike Rayburn, was fantastic. Not only was Rayburn an amazing guitar player , but he did a great job illustrating three points.

  1. What if you could...
  2. Write music that you can't play.
  3. Be your own virtuoso.
Rayburn convinced me of the value of being the best. Though showing what he could do with the guitar, play all the part to Bohemian Rhapsody at once, he showed me the value of pushing my abilities to the next level. And, each of his three points were ways of stretching yourself, just a little more. 

His first point, "What if you could," was a way of disarming the "we can't do that" mentality. He said, "that's great, I agree that we can't do that.... but what if we could? How would we go about that?" It was just a way of setting limitations aside and thinking differently.

His second point, "Write music you can't play (yet)," was about setting goals that you can't reach. Everyone can find 10% improvement by working a little more or making things a little more efficient. But orders of magnitude of improvement are only made by thinking differently and setting big goals. 

His third point, "Be a virtuoso," was all about being the best at what you do. Make a commitment to be the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment